While I was visiting some friends in the textile business, I ran across the fabulous work Carmen Hijosa is doing in developing a replacement for leather using pineapple leaves! This is cutting-edge sustainable development for the modern world. Not only a non-petroleum, non-animal replacement, but made from waste product of another industry so there is virtually no additional impact from making nor using it. Check it out.
There were also a couple of contest announcements this week that you might be interested in, particularly you veterans in the class of 2017.
InHabitat Biodesign Sprint CompetitionThis is a very-short-term contest purely focused on ideation: “We’re looking for your best and brightest visions for the future of building: bio-inspired building materials, systems and processes to build healthier, greener and more adaptive buildings.” To enter, you submit an illustration, rendering, or mock-up along with a description. That’s it. Winners get exposure to the X-Prize Foundation, among other things, so if you have an idea that fits, enter it, quickly!
Fairshare Urban SOS
This is a worldwide contest specifically for university students, focusing on using crowd-sharing technologies to better utilize resources in urban areas. Although you cannot enter as a HS student, you might be interested in reading through it to understand some of the issues currently being discussed as well as how some organizations are approaching the challenge of improving our world (one aspect at a time).
This was shared on a DT Teachers’ message forum this week.
DT 1Beginning DT
IB DT Y1Class of 2018
- Current Jobs
- → Semi-weekly Reflection (Required!)
- → HS Morning Announcements
- → Flash Challenge: A3 Folder
- → Employee Time Off (New)
- → Honor, Time and Damage (finish this!)
- From last week
- → The Lobby
- → HR with Cai (Floor 1)
- → Safety with Tim (Floor 2)
- All done?
- → Modeling with Dodavi (Floor 3), take the Tour first, then sketching
IB DT Y2Class of 2017
- HS morning announcements
- +Honor, Time and Damage
- From last week (Finish These!)
- The Lobby
- HR with Cai (Floor 1)
- Safety with Tim (Floor 2)
- Sustainability: Look for details on what sustainability really means, and figure out which one of the goals appeals to you. You might use this as part of your Design Project (IA), or to inform your development as a designer. Look for the list of actions you can take to help develop a sustainable future OR
- Energy Utilization, Storage and Management.
- +Modeling with Dodavi (Floor 3)
- +Flash Challenge: A3 Folder
- +Employee Time Off (New, Important!)