by matthewm1970 | 20160722
Hi there. I'm Cai and I'll be helping you through HR. We'll get you going as quickly as possible, so you can get to work in the Labs. Before we can get started, though, you'll need an account here at nolatlabs.com. This will allow you to track your progress in our game, use the Company Store, easily get back to the jobs you're assigned, and so on. Here's what you need to do:
- Click the "Login" link in the upper left corner of the site. (By the way, you can tell whether you're logged in or not by the way that top bar looks.)
- Click the "Register" link that shows up below the username & password boxes. (Or just click here to directly open the register page.)
- Enter your school username and email address.
- Be sure you use your school ones; our Security Squad will delete any accounts found with non-school usernames and addresses. That would be a shame.
- You'll be able to choose your own name here, though; you're not stuck with the school username. We'll get to that in a few steps.
- Switch to your school email and look for the registration email you'll have just received. Click the link in it to confirm your account and set up a password.
- Enter a password. For simplicity, you might use the same one you use everywhere else. For good security, you should use a different password on every site.
- Finally, use that username and password you just created to log into the site. Then come back here.
First step done! Now, click that "Start Job" button below.
Well, almost done. There are a few more settings you'll need to configure before your account is ready to rock. See where it says "Howdy" and your username in the upper right? Click that.
- Enter your proper First and Last names.
- Choose a nickname that you'd like to be known by on the Lab leaderboard.
- This can be any (appropriate) name you like
- which is 13 characters or fewer (to keep our leaderboards clean)
- "JoBob," "MasterChief," or "Unicorn42" would all be ok.
- "Grand High Lord Nekorb" wouldn't be, because it's too long and will uglify our leaderboards and stats windows.
- The Security Squad will change excessively long usernames to a random username without warning. Trust me, you don't want this; their sense of humor is...odd.
- Set the "Display name..." drop-down to show your Nickname.
- Change your password to something you'd like. Do not leave it as changeme.
- Near the bottom, click the "+" button to choose a block and computer.
- Select Block B (our class)
- Enter either the number of the desktop computer at which you sit, or a Laptop number.
- Desktop numbers are on the lower left of the computer, just below the screen.
- IF you choose a Laptop number, coordinate with the others to ensure your number is unique (required for our leaderboards & stats windows).
- Anyone who screws this up will be spending time with the Security Squad, so please, get it right, Visitor.
- Important: when you've set all those, be sure to click the "Update Profile" button at the bottom to save your changes.
Visitor, keep in mind that it will be immediately obvious if you've skipped any of these steps, because they show up on our company leaderboard and status panels. So...
Tidy work, Visitor. I think you may fit in here just fine. Next, let's get your profile set up. Head over to the Building Directory and choose "Build your portfolio."