Keep cool and stay focused, only a couple weeks to go – summer is waiting.
Y1 - Final Exam Summary
In case any of you weren’t keeping track as we went through the topics, here is a summary of what we’ve covered in your first year. You can find a set of review cards in the Mezzanine that go over each of these topics in detail. The “Topic” is how the IB lists the content; you’l find our exercises related to that content on the Floor listed at the end.
In the core content (for both SL and HL), we covered:
- Topic 1 – Anthropometrics and human factors (Floor 5)
- Topic 2 – Resource management and sustainable production (Floors 7 and 8)
- Topic 3 – Modeling, sections .1 to .3 (conceptual, graphical and physical) (Floor 3)
- Topic 4 – Raw materials to final product (Floors 4 and 6)
In the HL content we covered:
- Topic 7 – User centered design & usability, section .1 and .2 (UCD and Usability) (Floor 12)
- Topic 9 – Innovation and markets, section .4 and .5 (Market research and branding) (Floor 14)
- Topic 10 – Commercial production (Floor 15)
In the core, that leaves us only topics 5 (Invention and Innovation) and 6 (Classic design) to cover next year. In HL, we’ll have the second portion of topic 7, topic 8 (Sustainability) and the first portion of topic 9 (Corporate strategies, market sectors and segments, and marketing mix) to cover next year.
That means you are in great shape in terms of coverage of your content. How are you feeling about your IA? Have you spent enough time each week on developing your problem definition, so you have a really thorough and fully fleshed-out problem definition? The more work you put into it, the easier the rest of your work will become. If you’ve gone light on effort put into defining the problem, now would be a good time to add a few extra hours of research and user observation (User centered design, remember?), to nail down a fully detailed problem definition.
Job Assignments, alerts and challenges
IB DT Y1Class of 2018
IB DT Y2Class of 2017
- Review/Skyward jobs
- Final deadline: 5/20, 23:59 (11:59 pm)
- → Timber topics (25pts)
- → Playground palisade (25pts)
- → Materials master (25pts)
- → Dirty challenge (5pts)
- → Travel hanger challenge (5pts)
- → Look in the Modeling with Dodavi (floor 3) section for any jobs you didn’t do last semester (sketching challenges are 1pt each, blue foam modeling is 25pts, cardboard/foamboard modeling is 25pts)
- → If you’d like to propose your own modeling challenge, see GOYO and email Number 1 with a proposal for the number of points.